This page is dedicated to ecology and related sciences.
Information about Ecology, Botany, Soils and Landforms; and a list of select publications.
Botanically inclined posts.
Flora of Chugach State Park
The purpose of this project is to document the flora of Chugach State Park in south-central Alaska, including vascular plants, bryophytes, and lichens. The project is coordinated through the Alaska Native Plant Society in cooperation with Chugach State Park. Check out the iNaturalist project here: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/flora-of-chugach-state-park
The 2020 Progress Report is ready! To view and download it click here: Flora_of_CSP_2020_ProgressReport_May20
See a list of over 1,000 voucher specimens I’ve collected and that are curated at regional herbaria, and my iNaturalist observations:
Soils and Landforms
Photographs of soils and landforms.
Tussock and Frost Hummock Cross-section Photos
See the difference between tussocks and frost hummocks in a series of soil pit photos from across Alaska here https://drwellsorg.wordpress.com/tussock-and-frost-cross-section-photos.
A list of select publications.
- Macander, M.J., A.F. Wells, R.W. McNown, and T. Christopherson. 2020. Land Cover Mapping North Slope of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, Alaska, 2019. Unpublished report. Prepared for U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Anchorage. Prepared by ABR Inc.—Environmental Research and Services, Fairbanks, 125 pp. Download here: https://ecos.fws.gov/ServCat/Reference/Profile/124804
- Massatti, R. and A. Wells. 2008. Noteworthy Collections–Wyoming. Madroño 55(2), 179-180. https://doi.org/10.3120/0024-9637(2008)55[179:W]2.0.CO;2
- Powell, D.C.; Johnson, C.G., Jr.; Crowe, E.A.; Wells, A.F.; Swanson, D.K. 2007. Potential vegetation hierarchy for the Blue Mountains section of northeastern Oregon, southeastern Washington, and west-central Idaho. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-709. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 87 p. https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/27598
- Wells, A.F.; Boettinger, J.L.; Houston, K.E.; Roberts, D.W. 2015. Ecological types of the eastern slope of the Wind River Range, Shoshone National Forest, Wyoming. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-345. Fort Collins, CO. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 423 p. https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/49890
- Wells, A.F. , G.V. Frost, M.J. Macander, M.T. Jorgenson, J.E. Roth, W.A. Davis, and E.R. Pullman. 2020. Integrated terrain unit mapping on the Beaufort Coastal Plain, North Slope, Alaska, USA. Landscape Ecology. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10980-020-01154-x Click here for a full-text, read only version of the article.
- Wells, A. F., S. L. Ives, M. J. Macander, G. V. Frost, and E. K. Johnson. 2020. Noteworthy Collections–Alaska. Madroño. 66(4), 201-203. View on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338751385_Noteworthy_Collections_ALASKA
- Wells A.F., T. Christopherson, G.V. Frost, M.J. Macander, S.L. Ives, R.W. McNown, and E.K. Johnson†. 2021. Ecological land survey and soils inventory for Katmai National Park and Preserve, 2016–2017. Natural Resource Report. NPS/KATM/NRR—2021/2298. National Park Service. Fort Collins, Colorado. https://doi.org/10.36967/nrr-2287466